Thursday, March 5, 2015

What's For Sale?

The choices seem abundant to me.  At the outset of unhitching the wagon with all of it's gear, as in downsizing in order to combine/reduce two households into one, it's obvious to me that there is still use in many of the things I currently own.

Off they must go, to some one, some where,  out there.

Sell it on ebay for a fee, or list it no fee on craigslist?

List on Amazon, Donate to Habitat for Humanity?

Give to family and friends?

We listed a few things on Craigslist.  One item sold, and we received another offer at 50% of what we are asking.  We decided to keep that item, the treadmill, while it is 19 degrees outside and continue to walk on it for a couple of more weeks before we accept the lower offer.

Yesterday one side of my closet (work clothes accumulated over the last five years) went from being part of my wardrobe to belonging to some one else's wardrobe.

It felt good to get things moving on out, but part of me wondered, ought I have made more of an effort to market those wares on craigslist to the highest bidder?

In so many ways, there is such an abundance in my life, that I've never had any trouble sharing freely with those around me.  


Putting things in order, where they belong, or with whom they belong, seems to be the easiest way for me to approach this endeavor.  Selling things makes sense in some categories.  The motorcycles.  The cars. The power tools.  The big screen tv, the living room furniture.

I've never really been the one to put on a yard sale, or list more than a few things on ebay at a time.   I need that friend or relative who loves to put on a yard sale from dawn to noon.  Gack.

    Perhaps if I approach this effort to reduce like an income producing opportunity then I might find the motivation to host a yard sale?  On this gray an gloomy cold wet sleet filled day, Oh Bother!....this seems the only fit response.

Winter will soon give way to spring, and then, maybe then, I will possess the energy and motivation to move in that direction.

The more I think about it, though, the more I think a phone call to one of the several charities in the area will allow for a large donation pick up.

This approach may not net much cash in the back pocket.  It will help others in the community, and it will keep this downsizing project moving forward, and it is still tax deductible to donate household goods.

      Hmmmmm.  






No comments: