Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Craig's List and Safety

   A few days ago I listed my 2012 Honda Insight for sale.  I got a response quicker than I expected, but it didn't feel right.  The person went on about scams and wanting to avoid them, but didn't want to use an electronic payment system.  He also didn't like the Craigslist email system and asked that I respond to his email.  His email address was hosted by a known spamming service and was registered to a Latin American express shipping service.  He offered cash.  Cash is the hook.
   I responded from a throw away email address that I understood about scams and that we are fortunate to live near Virginia Beach where people can use the police station lobbies for completing transactions.  I offered to meet him at anyone of the Virginia Beach police precincts.  No response.
   If a response doesn't sound right, trust your instincts.  Check with your local police station and see if they are willing to provide the meeting location for your higher price transactions.  Just because they haven't advertised the service, doesn't mean they won't be open to it.

No comments: