Thursday, March 5, 2015

Eating Dessert First

Paul recently reminded me that our Blog is also set up for discussion of food.

Today, I will share a recipe for what was a successful hit after dinner last week.  


We sat down and enjoyed dinner with friends, and then we consumed the entire 9x9 pan of these yummies .  Yes, the entire Pan. 

 Between the four of us, I suppose that wasn't a lot of dessert, but it means this recipe definitely demands a repeat performance.

Gluten Free, Soy Free, Dairy Free, Egg Free.

Warning: Contains Sugar!

Adapted from Enjoy Life Decadent Blondies recipe 

1 Cup plus 1 TBsp Gluten Free Flour Blend (I used Bob's Red Mill)

1/4 tsp Xantham Gum

1/2 tsp Baking Soda (I used aluminum free)

1/4 tsp Gluten Free Baking Powder

1/2 tsp Salt

1/3 Cup Grapeseed oil - (I used equal parts Coconut Oil, Earth Balance Buttery Blend and Ghee)

1 C firmly packed golden brown sugar

1 T Vanilla Extract (I used 1T of Vanilla and 1T of Bourbon)

1 C Enjoy Life Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips Mega Chunks (I used 1 and 1/4 C Mega and mini chips)
These are soy free (no soy lecithin) which is on my list of food intolerances.  If you aren't sensitive to soy, any chocolate chips will do.

Flax Gel (1/3 C warm water 2 T finely ground flax)  (I used white chia seed and warm water)


Preheat oven to 350

Prepare a 9inch square baking pan with parchment or non stick spray (I do not use non stick, I used vegetable oil) 

Melt oil in small glass measuring cup in microwave
Set aside with Flax / Chia gell - to make gel, add warm water to seed and let set for five minutes

In food processor (or separate large bowl) combine flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt
Pulse a few times in processor.

Add brown sugar to oil, mix until uniform.  I put the brown sugar into the food processor, then drizzled the melted oils while pulsing the processor.

Combine flour with wet ingredients and mix until well incorporated.
Stir in chocolate bits.  I dumped the mega and mini chips into the processor and pulsed a few more times.

Pour batter into pan, press evenly.

Bake for 20 - 22 minutes at 350 or until golden brown.  Cool for 20 minutes, cut and serve.

My preparation of this recipe required an additional 20 minutes of baking time, for a total of 40 minutes in the oven in order for the toothpick to pull clean from the bars.   Worth The Wait.

I'll update/edit this post if the next batch requires any substantial revisions.




No comments: