Wednesday, January 13, 2016

What to do with Too Many Corn Tortillas

I like corn tortillas.  One of the many drawbacks of shopping Grocery stores is that while there is an abundance of food, one must buy, in abundance.  Two dozen tortillas to a package.

Since Corn Tortillas don't freeze well, i.e. they get crumbly and tear easily, they are best eaten fresh.

Two dozen is too many for the two of us to eat before five or more get tossed to the compost pile.   Good for the pigs, but not good for the food budget!

I also like pizza.  My sister recently posted a picture of a Chicago style pizza made somewhere near Lock and Dam 13.

Beautiful, and inspiring, mouth-watering deliciousness.

If I were to attempt one slice of that delicious appearing pizza, I would predictably be out of order for awhile.

But, what if I made use of the corn tortillas and the toppings that are on my safe to eat list?  

My mouth started watering as I thought of all of the foods and flavors that could possibly satisfy the craving brought on by that Chicago Style Pizza Picture.  

These are the ingredients that I used for the first effort and this is worth doing.  Again.
Paul's review:  Ooooh!  That's tasty!

Corn Tortillas (I used four or five per 'pizza')
Herdez Salsa Verde
Pork Roast
Tomato Paste
Hatch Green Chilies
Cumin
Smoked Chipotle Chile Powder (no garlic)
One onion
Shredded Goat Cheese (Trader Joes Sharp Goat Cheddar)
Black Olives
Corn

I used shredded pork.  I imagine Hamburger or chicken will work too.

Roast Pork is easy to prepare when cooked in the crock pot, shredded, then frozen.
It comes in handy for many last minute meals.

Put the shredded pork, about two cups, in a small saucepan.  Add one cube tomato paste (I freeze my tomato paste and hatch green chilies in ice cube trays then bag them for later use one cube at a time) and three cubes of hatch green chilies.

Add 1/2 tsp Cumin and 1 T Smoked Chipotle Chile Powder to the top and put the lid on.
Set to low heat for about 15 minutes then stir and take off the lid.
Cook until bubbly and juices are low, stir occasionally.  You want moist, a bit juicy, not dry.

Thinly slice one onion.  Heat a fry pan to medium and add oil of your choice (we use bacon drippings).  Saute the onion until it begins to caramelize.  Add 1/2 can of drained sweet corn and heat through.

Shred the block of cheese.

In an oven safe skillet, spread 2 or 3 T of Herdez Salsa
Place one corn tortilla over salsa, move it around to evenly coat bottom side of tortilla
Evenly layer some of pork mixture on top of corn tortilla - not too thick
Add a layer of corn onion mixture - not too thick
sprinkle with sliced black olives - a few here and a few there
add layer of shredded cheese - thick as you like, as it melts!
Add 2 or 3 T Herdez Salsa spooned across the cheese
Cover with corn tortilla and press gently to even out the 'pie'

Repeat process two or three more times or until pie reaches top of skillet
Last tortilla will have only salsa and grated cheese for topping

Cover with foil and bake in 350 oven for 35 - 40 minutes
Remove foil and broil until cheese on top is brown and bubbly

I assembled two pies and put one in the oven and the other in the refrigerator.

We ate one for dinner and had the next one for lunch the next day with a cold gluten free beer.

Things I would try:  Black beans with the corn;  mushrooms instead of corn; Paul can't eat bell peppers but I think they would be good to try too.

We ate this too fast for me to take any pictures....






No comments: